Psychology of Education
Master and Doctoral studies
General student information:
Application for admission websites
Student funding website
Master of Education in Psychology of Education (06637) NOT for registration as Educational Psychologist
- Non-Unisa students need to get an admission number before the formal application is submitted see above
- Formal registration students must register for the proposal module (MPEDU91). This module is compulsory for all students.
- Students register for the dissertation only after the proposal module has been approved by the supervisor.
- Students have one year to complete and pass the proposal module.
- The Department of Psychology of Education has limited capacity for supervision of students we will do our utmost to accommodate you, but we are under no obligation to do so. If there is no supervisor available, students can be put on a waiting list or can be refunded by the university. Please check the interest fields of lecturers on their academic profiles.
- Students may apply for a bursary after acceptance of the proposal (if the student does not complete the qualification, the bursary becomes a loan that must be paid back) see above
- Students must remember to re-register every year of study.
Both the Honours and the Masters mentioned below are needed for registration as an Educational Psychologist. (If you already have an Honours BEd, you only need to do the two specialization modules).
Honours Bachelor of Education (specialisation in School Guidance and Counselling) New curriculum (05363 - NEW) and
Master of Education with specialisation in Guidance and Counseling (07420)
The only route students can take to become an Educational Psychologist and to register with the HPCSA is the following:
Honours Bachelor of Education (specialisation in School Guidance and Counseling) New curriculum (05363 - NEW)
Additional information for the Honours BEd:
- The first degree must include Psychology III or Industrial Psychology III.
- Students must first register for the three generic modules of the HBEd at Unisa when they start with the Honours BEd.
- Students who have an Honours BEd degree from another university must apply for selection (Form 31) to do the specialisation modules at Unisa for non degree purposes No Honours BEd from another university will be accepted in its entirety.
- Non-Unisa students need to get an admission number see above.
- Students at Unisa doing the first three generic modules who want to do Guidance & Counselling as specialising modules, also have to apply on Form 31 for the selection (we only select 25 students).
- The final closing date for the applications is 31 July. Students busy with the first three modules must apply before 31 July of the same year for the selection.
Master of Education with specialisation in Guidance and Counselling (07420)
- There is a selection process involved for entry to the master programme.
- The MEd (Guidance & Counselling) consists of compulsory classes (IN PRETORIA ONLY), a practical and written examination as well as a dissertation of limited scope.
- When the proposal for the dissertation is accepted, students should register for the MEd (Guidance & Counselling)
- After completion of the MEd (Guidance & Counselling), the students have to do an internship for a year, write the Board Exam with the HPCSA and then register as an Educational Psychologist.
- Students must remember to re-register for every year of study.