This includes new applicants (prospective students) and current and returning/previous students. A formal qualification includes: higher certificates, diplomas, bachelor degrees, BTech degrees, postgraduate certificates, postgraduate diplomas, advanced certificates, advanced diplomas, honours degrees, master's degrees and doctoral degrees.
Once you have chosen your qualification and made sure that you meet the admission requirements, you can apply online or at a regional office. Work through the information carefully to ensure that your application for admission is complete and submitted correctly.
Complete online application
- Online via http://applications.unisa.ac.za
- Or visit a Unisa regional office to submit your complete application online (application form + uploaded supporting documents) (08:00-15:30, Mondays to Fridays)
Upload supporting documents
Upload the following relevant supporting documents with your application form:
- Certified copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- Certified copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable) (please note that internet copies will not be accepted)
- Certified copy of your ID document (RSA students) or passport (international students)
- Certified copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Original sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- DSAR04 form and supporting documents if you are applying for exemptions
Rules for uploading supporting documents
Unisa does not provide scanners or electronic devices. Please ensure your documents are in an electronic format (as stipulated below) before starting the application process.
- Files cannot be larger than 2MB (2048KB) each.
- Maximum number of files allowed: 5 (combine similar items as one file, eg all school certificates as one file).
- Only black and white documents may be submitted.
- Only the following file types are allowed: pdf (Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format file), doc (Word document file) or tif (image file)
Receive reference number
After Unisa processes your application for admission, you will receive your reference number and further communication from the university.
Pay application fee
Pay the online application fee of R100,00 (online payment by credit card is available). This fee is non-refundable even if you decide not to study through Unisa or do not qualify for admission to Unisa. Unisa does not accept cash at any of its offices. You may deposit cash into the university's Standard Bank account:
Please e-mail proof of SWIFT payment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment information for students living in South Africa
- Pay online using your credit card: http://applications.unisa.ac.za
- Pay via bank deposit. Further details will be communicated once a reference number has been allocated to you.
- Payment information for international students
- International students must pay fees via SWIFT payment:
- Beneficiary: Unisa student deposits;
- Standard Bank;
- Account number: 011554622;
- Branch code: 010645;
- SWIFT code: SBZAZAJJ
If your application for admission to study through Unisa is incomplete, you will have to re-apply during the next application period. Make sure that you've done the following:
For more information, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Unisa will assess your application, which may take a few weeks and will probably only be finalised after the closing date for applications. If your application is successful, visit the Unisa website for registration information and registration dates. If your application is unsuccessful, contact Unisa's Directorate for Counselling & Career Development to discuss alternative options linked to your career vision and goals.
You must register for your approved qualification during the prescribed registration period. If you want to change the qualification for which you have applied and received confirmation, you will need to re-apply for admission during the next application period.