Apply for admission
Who must apply?
- Everyone wanting to start a new qualification must apply for admission. This includes first-time Unisa applicants and Unisa students changing to a new qualification.
- You must re-apply for admission if you previously applied for admission and received feedback, but did not register for any reason.
- Everyone planning to enrol for classes at a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college under the Unisa-TVET agreement must apply for admission.
Online & self-help applications: 1 September 2016 - 21 October 2016 (hard copy applications will only be accepted for non-degree purposes).
What's new for 2017?
- You may apply for a maximum of two qualifications, ranked in order of preference (although you may only register for one should both of your qualifications be successful).
- Unisa will inform you of the outcome of your application and, if successful, the qualification for which you can register for the 2017 academic year.
- If your application for admission is successful, you must register for the 2017 academic year. Should you not register for the 2017 academic year, you will be required to re-apply in 2017 for the 2018 academic year.
Check your documents & confirm that you are ready to apply
Please note that if you don't meet the exact requirements listed below, your application will be declined and you will have to re-apply during the next application period.
Follow the instructions carefully when completing the online application process.
- Files are not larger than 2MB (2048KB) each.
- Only black and white documents may be submitted.
- Only the following file types are allowed: PDF (Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format file), DOC (Word document file) or TIF (image file)
How to apply?
Ways to apply
- Online via http://applications.unisa.ac.za
- Visit a Unisa Regional Office to submit your complete application online via the self-help stations (application form + uploaded supporting documents) (08:00-15:30, Mondays to Fridays)
- Hard copy application forms will be accepted when applying for non-degree purposes only. Incomplete application forms will not be considered.
- Applicants who plan to enrol for classes at a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college under the Unisa-TVET agreement may apply via the relevant TVET college or at Unisa via the online or self-help options.
Upload supporting documents
Everyone applying for a new qualification must submit the required documents (all first-time applicants and Unisa students starting a new qualification).
Unisa does not provide scanners or electronic devices. Please ensure that your documents are scanned and uploaded to an electronic device before starting the application process.
Pay the application fee once you've received a student number from Unisa
- R100 for online applications
- R150 for hard copy applications (non-degree purposes only)
- Use the student number you receive from Unisa AND the application fee reference number (ie STUDENTNUMBER 5370810030)
- Visit www.unisa.ac.za/paymentinfo for banking and payment information.
The due date for the application fee is the closing date for the application period. Any application submitted without an application fee will not be processed. Please ensure that you keep a copy of your proof of payment.
This fee is non-refundable even if you decide not to study through Unisa or do not qualify for admission to Unisa. Unisa does not accept cash at any of its offices.
You do not need to pay the application fee if you previously paid an application fee at Unisa.
Make sure that your application is complete
If your application for admission to study through Unisa is incomplete, you will have to re-apply during the next application period.